Updated: 8:35 PM All updates are in.
Practice number eight is pretty much in the books for the Kansas City Chiefs. It's scheduled to end at 6:30 today. The team had two practices today, an AM and a PM session. Check out the AM notes here.
Bob Gretz is doing his thing at CBS Sports and we've gathered some more info for you from the usual suspects.
The only updates really missing are the UW-RF's, which we'll have in this post as soon as they're live.
Click through for the ongoing updates of the Chiefs' afternoon session today. We'll put a note above the fold when we've updated.General stuff
- Weather: 75 degrees, low winds, 36% humidity (National Weather Service)
- TE Sean Ryan called this the most physical camp of his five previous stops (Gretz at CBS)
- Peter King of Sports Illustrated is again in attendance (Peter King Twitter)
- Jay Glazer of FOX Sports is in attendance (Jay Glazer Twitter)
- Today’s situational point of emphasis...the red zone. Coach Haley talked through the art of the red zone scramble/route adjustment today. (Josh Looney at the Mothership)
- Quarterback Ingle Martin was not with the team during practice. Tight end Brad Cottam was back on the field running drills with his team. Guard Wade Smith and running back Kolby Smith still aren’t available. (UW-RF)
- Brad Cottam is back from a right ankle injury after missing three practices (Gretz at CBS)
- Heavy emphasis on red zone corner routes (Josh Looney at the Mothership)
- There is a heavy focus on red zone offense today and QB Brodie Croyle had the crowds attention with some very nice throws. (Josh Looney at the Mothership)
- Quarterback Brodie Croyle completed a pass to wide receiver Jeff Webb. Webb made his first move after the reception to his right (east). Head Coach Todd Haley wasn’t impressed with the four-year veteran’s move. "Get up the field, Webb. You don’t run East or West ever," he shouted. (UW-RF)
- At the end of afternoon practice, the Chiefs' No. 1 offense had three plays to score from the 10-yard line. On the second play, CB Brandon Flowers intercepted a pass by QB Matt Cassel in the end zone. (Gretz at CBS)
- Cornerback DaJuan Morgan and linebackers Mike Vrabel, Demorrio Williams and Weston Dacus did not participate in this afternoon’s practice. Instead, the group spent time on field 3, working out. (UW-RF)
- Defensive Line Coach Tim Krumrie had a new phrase for the defensive linemen at practice today. Krumrie continually yelled, "Don’t be that guy!" when the men were running drills. He meant that the players shouldn’t be the guy to mess up first. (UW-RF)
- While running the 11-on-11 situation drill, Head Coach Todd Haley grew frustrated with the overall performance of the defense. "Defense, get your (crap) together," he shouted. (UW-RF)
- Cornerback Brandon Flowers picked off quarterback Matt Cassel’s pass with some help from the linebackers, showing pressure. After Flowers’ interception, the entire defensive squad got hyped up. Prior to the pick, the offense had been looking better than the defense. (UW-RF)
- In a live punt drill, Chiefs rookie WR Quinten Lawrence continued to have problems catching the ball. He fumbled two, including one recovered by the punt team. (Gretz at CBS)
- The Chiefs are working OLB Andy Studebaker as a long snapper. The only snapper on the roster is rookie Tanner Purdum. (Gretz at CBS)
- The team has not held an exclusive "special teams practice," yet the coaching staff is finding ways to focus on the teams game multiple times each practice. The periods are somewhat long, about 10 minutes, and quality max-effort reps are taken. The focus this afternoon is punt pro. (Josh Looney at the Mothership)
- During the team’s punting drill, long snapper Tanner Purdum had two poor snaps in a row. (UW-RF)
- Haley stopped the drill one play before the end, and said he wanted to see linebacker Andy Studebaker take some snaps. Studebaker’s solo snap was a decent one. (UW-RF)
- WR Jeff Webb got scolded by one of the coaches. The coach said, "Come on, Webb. Don’t let them split ya." (UW-RF)