(Photo via John Sleezer of the Kansas City Star)
What does this mean for the reports that the Chiefs and Jaguars were talking trade?
My guess is nothing. Boeckman was originally signed June 17th as an undrafted free agent. He was cut on July 31st to make room for a third round pick. If the Jaguars were looking for a back up to starter David Garrard, then Boeckman probably isn't the guy.
Currently, Todd Bouman is the backup. He's 37 and probably not the answer the Jaguars want at the backup quarterback position.
So, in my estimation, the need for a backup to Garrard, who struggled in a five win season last year, still exists.
If the Jaguars weren't happy enough with Boeckman to keep him on July 31st then what, exactly, has changed?
After last night's performance, it's been argued (and rightfully so) that Thigpen's stock is down. I think both sides are aware of that.
I haven't the slightest idea if Thigpen will be traded. But if he does, I would guess it would happen this week.
Here's a quick timeline of the Thigpen trade talks that have gained some steam in the last week:
- August 26th: Report: Chiefs, Jaguars talking trade for Tyler Thigpen
- August 26th: Chiefs' Thigpen doesn't know anything about a trade to the Jaguars
- August 26th: Open competition? Chiefs' Thigpen says it doesn't feel like it
- August 26th: Despite trade rumors, Chiefs' Thigpen will be first QB off the bench against Seahawks
- August 28th: Thigpen to the Jaguars not dead yet
- August 29th: Matt Cassel injured against the Seahawks
- August 29th: Todd Haley frustrated with the offense under Thigpen