We've had 15 front page posts by count since the start of yesterday's Kansas City Chiefs v. Houston Texans preseason game. I've linked all of those posts after the jump so you can get a bird's eye view of our coverage.
Now, as far as the game, Wow! The new Arrowhead Stadium is fantastic and it's not even complete yet. It's just bigger, cleaner, sharper looking...overall a great job on the renovation.
Joel and I and the rest of the guys are figuring out the best way to deliver post game info so here is a big stat post for you on how the Chiefs did on offense. I had the Texans' stat tables in but for some reason the code didn't take. When I figure that out, I will post them.
And a couple of my thoughts on the preseason that I've mentioned here before and will help mold our coverage:
- I don't think any lessons, if any, can be drawn until the third preseason game
- A rainy, first preseason game means you can pretty much throw out the stats
- Don't make absolute statements based on one preseason game!
I haven't added much analysis to these stats because it was a long, long travel day yesterday from Kansas City back to Austin and I'm just getting to this this morning. Expect more robust Monday morning coverage as we (a) have Sunday games and (b) when the regular season starts.
I just can't sit here and tell you that for example Croyle should be the starter because of Saturday. That's not how it works in my head.
- It was a Wet Game at Arrowhead on Saturday
What Plays the Chiefs Called on Offense
- 15 rushing plays (2.33 yards per play)
- 13 passing plays (5.15 yards per play)
- 9 rushing plays (1.67 yards per play)
- 13 passing plays (8.13 yards per play)
- 1 rushing play (14 yards per play)
- 12 passing plays (3 yards per play)
- 1 rushing play (2 yards per play)
- 3 passing plays (4 yards per play)
When the Chiefs Ran the Ball
Here is the directional breakdown of how the Chiefs ran the ball:
|Left End||Left Tackle||Left Guard||Up the Middle||Right Guard||Right Tackle||Right End|
|Plays: 2||Plays: 3||Plays: 3||Plays: 16||Plays: 1||Plays: 1|
|NFL Rank: 15||NFL Rank: 13||NFL Rank: 12||NFL Rank: 3||NFL Rank: 24||NFL Rank: 22|
|Avg Gain: 6.50||Avg Gain: 4.67||Avg Gain: 9.33||Avg Gain: 4.44||Avg Gain: 2.00||Avg Gain: 1.00|
|NFL Rank: 9||NFL Rank: 6||NFL Rank: 1||NFL Rank: 8||NFL Rank: 20||NFL Rank: 23|
When the Chiefs Passed the Ball
And here is the directional breakdown of the passing game:
|Short Left||Short Middle||Short Right||Deep Left||Deep Middle||Deep Right|
|Plays: 7||Plays: 9||Plays: 13||Plays: 2||Plays: 2|
|NFL Rank: 18||NFL Rank: 3||NFL Rank: 9||NFL Rank: 15||NFL Rank: 8|
|Avg Gain: 7.00||Avg Gain: 4.89||Avg Gain: 2.85||Avg Gain: 18.00||Avg Gain: 9.00|
|NFL Rank: 10||NFL Rank: 22||NFL Rank: 24||NFL Rank: 5||NFL Rank: 11|