The Kansas City Chiefs have assigned numbers to the eight new players they acquired over the weekend in the 2009 draft class. The players were assigned numbers quickly, if we use Matt Cassel's near month long wait to be assigned an official number*.
If you all remember, some folks were questioning why Cassel, signed February 28th, hadn't been assigned a number. He eventually did (on April 1st) - in fact, it came the day after we learned his number would be #7. An AP scoop? Sure!
The following players switched from their college numbers because it was already taken by a current member of the squad or for other reasons:
- Tyson Jackson (#94 - Tank Tyler owns #93)
- Quinten Lawrence (#14 - Ryan Succop owns #6)
- Javarris Williams (#40 - Not sure of the reason for the switch from #28 college number)
- Jake O'Connell (#45 - Mark Bradley owns #83)
Ryan Succop (#6 - Quinten Lawrence owns #14)
After the jump are the numbers for each of the Chiefs eight draft picks.
*I say they're waiting to be assigned numbers, but in reality the Chiefs let the players pick their own numbers assuming they are available.
1ST ROUND PICK - DE TYSON JACKSON, LSU - #94
3RD ROUND PICK - DT ALEX MAGEE, PURDUE - #71
4TH ROUND PICK - DB DONALD WASHINGTON, OHIO STATE- #20
5TH ROUND PICK - RT COLIN BROWN, MISSOURI - #61
6TH ROUND PICK - WR QUINTEN LAWRENCE, MCNEESE STATE - #14
7TH ROUND PICK - RB JAVARRIS WILLIAMS, TENNESSEE STATE - #40
7TH ROUND PICK - TE JAKE O'CONNELL, MIAMI (OH) - #45
7TH ROUND PICK - K RYAN SUCCOP, SOUTH CAROLINA - #6
[Edit] Here is the system the NFL uses to assign jersey numbers:
Numbers 1 to 19 are worn by quarterbacks, kickers, and punters (Note: Wide receivers can also wear #10-19)
- Numbers 20 to 49 are worn by running backs, tight ends (who may wear a number between 40-49 when 80-89 are unavailable), cornerbacks and safeties.
- Numbers 50 to 59 are worn by linebackers and offensive linemen.
- Numbers 60 to 79 are worn by members of both the offensive line (the tackles, guards and centers) and defensive line (the defensive ends, defensive tackles or nose guard).
- Numbers 80 to 89 are worn by wide receivers and tight ends.
- Numbers 90 to 99 are worn by linebackers and defensive linemen.