The Kansas City Chiefs have traded up to the 237th selection int he NFL Draft to select Jake O'Connell, tight end out of Miami (OH) in the Mid-American Conference.
6'3", 255 pounds
Scouts, Inc has him rated as the 50th tight end. He has a 36.5'" vertical and is described as having " exceptional ball skills and that he continues to grow as a blocker."
The Chiefs might not be expecting much out of him:
Senior tight end Jake O'Connell is the top prospect on offense. A hard-working college player who does a solid job as both a pass-catcher and blocker, O'Connell possesses marginal size/speed numbers and will have a tough time making it as a team's third tight end.
The Chiefs traded up for this guy. I would imagine he has a better chance of making the team than your average seventh round pick. Plus they traded with Pioli's father-in-law, Bill Parcells.
O'Connell is not on our draft interests page.
- Round 1, Pick 3 (3) - DE Tyson Jackson LSU
- Round 2, #34 traded to New England Patriots in exchange for QB Matt Cassel and LB Mike Vrabel
- Round 3, Pick 3 (67) - DT Alex Magee, Purdue
- Round 4, Pick 2 (102) CB Donald Washington, Ohio St.
- Round 5, Pick 3 (139) T Colin Brown, Missouri
- Round 6, Pick 2 (175) WR Quinten Lawrence, McNeese St.
- Round 7, Pick 3 (212) RB Javarris Williams, Tenn. St.
- Round 7, Pick 28 (237*) TE Jake O'Connell, Miami (OH)
- Round 7, Pick 47 (256)
*Trade with Dolphins. Chiefs gave up next year's 7th round pick for O'Connell.
Do you agree with the pick?
Yes (221 votes)
No (226 votes)
Not sure (149 votes)
596 total votes