The Kansas City Chiefs have traded up to the 237th selection int he NFL Draft to select Jake O'Connell, tight end out of Miami (OH) in the Mid-American Conference.
6'3", 255 pounds
Scouts, Inc has him rated as the 50th tight end. He has a 36.5'" vertical and is described as having " exceptional ball skills and that he continues to grow as a blocker."
The Chiefs might not be expecting much out of him:
Senior tight end Jake O'Connell is the top prospect on offense. A hard-working college player who does a solid job as both a pass-catcher and blocker, O'Connell possesses marginal size/speed numbers and will have a tough time making it as a team's third tight end.
The Chiefs traded up for this guy. I would imagine he has a better chance of making the team than your average seventh round pick. Plus they traded with Pioli's father-in-law, Bill Parcells.
O'Connell is not on our draft interests page.
- Round 1, Pick 3 (3) - DE Tyson Jackson LSU
- Round 2, #34 traded to New England Patriots in exchange for QB Matt Cassel and LB Mike Vrabel
- Round 3, Pick 3 (67) - DT Alex Magee, Purdue
- Round 4, Pick 2 (102) CB Donald Washington, Ohio St.
- Round 5, Pick 3 (139) T Colin Brown, Missouri
- Round 6, Pick 2 (175) WR Quinten Lawrence, McNeese St.
- Round 7, Pick 3 (212) RB Javarris Williams, Tenn. St.
- Round 7, Pick 28 (237*) TE Jake O'Connell, Miami (OH)
- Round 7, Pick 47 (256)
*Trade with Dolphins. Chiefs gave up next year's 7th round pick for O'Connell.