With the 175th pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the Kansas City Chiefs select Quinten Lawrence out of McNeese State.
6'0", 184 pounds
Adequate height and has a wiry strength. Extremely fast and quick. Eats up cushion by exploding off the line and getting on top of the corner before he knows it. Sells the outside or deep route well and cuts quickly to the inside or comes back to the ball. Catches the ball with his reliable hands, able to go outside his frame. Quick feet into and out of routes. Good vision and a naturally elusive runner with the ball in his hands. Efforts downfield blocking on quick screens and run plays. Could have impact as a returner because of his speed and willingness to go straight upfield.
The downsides are mostly size related including "thin frame", no bump-and-run experience, can't block much.
He played wide receiver for much of his career but the team also played him a bit of defensive back. He's also returned kicks. This is a total Pioli pick with the multiple positions played.
He played basketball (all-conference) and long jump (state champion) in high school. He had an injury his senior year of at McNeese State that limited him to five games. His athleticism allows for the versatility.
- Round 1, Pick 3 (3) - DE Tyson Jackson LSU
- Round 2, #34 traded to New England Patriots in exchange for QB Matt Cassel and LB Mike Vrabel
- Round 3, Pick 3 (67) - DT Alex Magee, Purdue
- Round 4, Pick 2 (102) CB Donald Washington, Ohio St.
- Round 5, Pick 3 (139) T Colin Brown, Missouri
- Round 6, Pick 2 (175) WR Quinten Lawrence, McNeese St.
- Round 7, Pick 3 (212)
- Round 7, Pick 47 (256)
Click here to watch the draft on NFL.com.