- QB: Matt Cassel
- FB: Mike Cox
- HB: Larry Johnson
- RWR: Dwayne Bowe
- LWR: Mark Bradley
- Slot: Bobby Engram
- TE: Tony Gonzalez
- Assessment: The Skills positions are pretty much a given at this point, except Mark Bradley who may permanently lose his job if he spends time on IR again.
- LT: Branden Alberts
- LG: Brian Waters
- C: Eric Wood/ Antoinne Caldwell (3rd round choice)
- RG: Mike Goff
- RT: Barry Richardson/ Herb Taylor*
- Blocking TE: Brad Cottam
- Assessment: The draft will bring a lot of controversy about the C and RT position. If we go with a tackle in the first our center will probably be Niswanger again because we'll probably spend the rest of our picks on defense.
- ROLB: Mike Vrabel
- RILB: Jasper Binkley (4th round choice)
- LILB: Derrick Johnson
- LOLB: Aaron Curry (1st round choice)
- Assessment: Vrabel will probably rotate our with some of the DE/OLB's we've picked up in FA. Leaving two rookies to anchor the middle may be catastrophic so Derrick Johnson will have to move inside so we have a pattern that places a both rookies next to veterans.
- RDE: Turk McBride/ Glenn Dorsey
- NT: Glenn Dorsey/ Tank Tyler
- LDE: Ricky Jean Francois
- Assessment: If Dorsey plays DE Tank Tyler will start at NT, if Dorsey starts at NT the DE spot will probably go to Turk McBride. Francois makes sense as a 3-4 end. He'd have to play on the left side to plug the strongside run. the RDE's role is more to open gaps for the ROLB to shoot. We could see Pioli go after Vonnie Holiday as a spot starter for 09'
- LCB: Brandon Flowers
- RCB: Brandon Carr
- SS: Bernard Pollard
- FS: Jarrad Page
- Nickel: Maurice Leggett
- Assessment: The most solid unit in KC last year will be in question in the new 3-4 scheme which generally bends toward man coverage as opposed to the zone coverage we've been running and drafting for. the only ones that need to worry about their jobs are Leggett (who can be replaced by one of the FA's we've picked up) and Page (who's tackling inability may put him in the back seat to DeJuan Morgan)