Replaced the image with this courtesy of soybon in the FanShots
Matt Cassel has astonishingly made his way onto the elite list of nine athletes despite being traded to the Kansas City Chiefs after leading the Patriots to an 11-5 season last year and being the butt of oh-so-many jokes in the process.
On the one hand, this is great news for Matt Cassel personally. The exposure of being on the cover of one of the most high profile video games is excellent for him. It probably means a little more money and endorsement opportunities.
On the other hand, this is terrible news if you believe in curses. The Madden Curse, that is.
Is the curse real? Am I just being paranoid when I think this is NOT good news for Cassel and the Chiefs? Let's take a look.
- 2009 - Brett Favre - A collapse in the second half of the season caused the Jets to miss the playoffs after starting 8-3. Favre threw for six less touchdowns and seven more interceptions.
- 2008 - Vince Young - Tennessee made the playoffs but Young threw for nine touchdowns compared to 17 interceptions.
- 2007 - Shaun Alexander - Lowest totals since his rookie year. He injured his foot and missed six games. Even his yards per carry dropped by .8.
- 2006 - Donovan McNabb - Eagles finished in last place and McNabb was lost for the season in week nine.
- 2005 - Ray Lewis - Didn't record an interception but other than that the curse didn't affect him.
- 2004 - Michael Vick - Broken leg caused him to miss 11 games.
- 2003 - Marshall Faulk - Stats declined to his worse numbers in eight seasons.
- 2002 - Daunte Culpepper - 19 less touchdowns than the previous year and missed four games due to injury.
- 2001 - Eddie George - Didn't break 1,000 yards
- 2000 - Garrison Hearst - Broken foot in playoff game caused him to miss two seasons.
I know, I know. There's no such thing as a curse. But for a Chiefs fan that has been "cursed" since 1969, I don't need any more bad karma headed my way. Just say no to Madden, Mr. Cassel!
Do you believe in the Madden Curse?
Yes (493 votes)
No (192 votes)
No but to make sure just say no, Cassel... (266 votes)
951 total votes