As your newly appointed VP of Player Personnel I feel it is my obligation to look through as much info on draft prospects as possible (plus I'm just plain addicted to the stuff). So tonight at the local super market I noticed that Sporting News' Draft Guide was out. So I threw it in the cart on top of a couple frozen pizzas without even cracking the cover. Now let me preface the rest of my comments with this: most draft guides suck and are written by morons who make Mel Kiper seem like Einstein. But I'll read pretty much anything draft related and sometimes they'll lead me to a prospect I hadn't seen before who I'll then do my own digging on. However, this magazine is a rag!!!
(Warning to all caps lock haters, I will now yell at you to make my point clear.)
DO NOT BUY THIS MAGAZINE!!!!! THEY HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THEY'RE DOING!!!
Okay, done yelling, now I'll make my case.
1. It's already out of date especially for us Chiefs fans. It doesn't reflect are deal with the Patriots. Also, Andre Smith is still a top 5 pick and a contender to go #1 overall (Jason Smith is not in the top 5).
2. Max Unger is the 9th rated center and is projected as a 7th round pick.
3. Seriously, did you read #2. If that didn't scare you off then your draft knowledge puts you in the category of people who could be led horribly estray by this magazine. But if you need more, here you go: Tyson Jackson is the 8th rated DE and is projected as a 3rd rounder.
4. Clint Sintim is rated as the #3 MLB. I know what you're thinking, sounds reasonable, right, then you read on and see his projection as a 3rd rounder.
5. Jasper Brinkley is rated as the #18 MLB and is in the UFA category. If you have been reading many of the draft posts on this site that have talked about this guy you know that it is taking great restraint on my part to not use the cap locks again.
6. Jeremy Maclin is the #5 WR. At this point you might be thinking, okay so Sporting News must love them some Hakeem Nicks and Darrius Heyward Bey. No no my friends they are rated #6 and #7. #2 is Kenny Britt from Rutgers, #3 Percy Harvin (no problem there), #4 is Brandon Tate from North Carolina.
I could keep going with some lesser known guys that I feel are way to low, but hopefully you get my point by now. Stay away from this mag, please.
VP of Player Personnel
PS - JASPER BRINKLEY AT #18 MLB AND TOTALLY UNDRAFTED!!!! ARE YOU F'N KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!?! (Sorry, couldn't hold that in.)