|Joe Valerio: Hero to St. Peter's Grade School after Dale Carter canceled coming to see us twice in a row.|
Okay, so we've probably had enough Jay Cutler talk for today (probably even for a few days). Let's shift gears and get back to talking about the Kansas City Chiefs, and more specifically the Chiefs and the NFL Draft.
We've voted on the best and worst all-time first round draft picks by the Chiefs and we came up with some unsurprising results- Derrick Thomas took the best first round pick award with 53% of the vote and Todd Blackledge squeaked by Ryan Sims by 19 votes to claim the worst all-time mantle.
Now, we move on to the second round and the best draft pick to come out of it. I'm going by this list of second round picks and I've again picked out the ones I've thought were worthy enough to be voted on. Unfortunately, there aren't many to throw into the "Best of" category. This is going to be another fun to debate on the "worst" side of things. There is a severe lack of Pro Bowls on that list I linked.
The results of this poll should not be in doubt at any point. Click over for info on the candidates.
P.S. I have TonyG88's #3 draft pick ready to roll so stay tuned for that.
All accolades are taken from each player's Wikipedia page.
LB Willie Lanier (1967, Pick #50)
- 8x Pro Bowl selection (1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975)
- 8x All-Pro selection (1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975)
- NFL 75th Anniversary All-Time Team
- 1971 Pro Bowl MVP
- Kansas City Chiefs #63 retired
- Pro Football and College Football Hall of Fame member
RB Joe Delaney (1981, Pick #41)
- 1981 UPI AFC Rookie of Year
- 1x Pro Bowl selection (1982)
- College Football Hall of Fame member
RB Christian Okoye (1987, Pick #35)
- 2x Pro Bowl selection (1989, 1991)
- 1989 UPI AFC Offensive Player of the Year
- Ed Block Courage Award (1988)
- Led NFL in Rushing Yards in 1989
C Tim Grunhard (1990, Pick #40)
- Pro Bowl: 1999
Was this ever really in doubt? Gotta be Willie Lanier- no ifs, ands or buts about it.
Who is the Chiefs best all-time second round pick?
LB Willie Lanier (460 votes)
RB Joe Delaney (35 votes)
RB Chrisian Okoye (235 votes)
C Tim Grunhard (165 votes)
895 total votes