Will the Chiefs make a run at Igor Olshansky?
Here's a quick update on the free agents at positions of need for the Chiefs.
Chris Canty (DE - 6'7", 286 lbs - 26 years old) - Originally scheduled to visit with the Redskins but was later canceled because the Redskins were "running out of money" according to Executive VP of Football Operations Vinny Cerrato. Is still in New York following a visit with the Giants even though they recently signed defensive lineman Rocky Bernard from the Seahawks. Although no deal is imminent, Canty's agent said talks are continuing and the Giants do want to sign him. He's supposedly seeking $18 million guaranteed and $8 million per year. **SI.com says it's either the Giants or the Packers. ***Signs 6 year, $42 million deal with $17.5 million guaranteed with the New York Giants.
- Antonio Smith (DE - 6'3", 274 lbs - 27 years old ) - Signed 5 year deal with the Texans.
- Bart Scott (LB - 6'2", 235 lbs - 27 years old) - Signed 6 year, $48 million deal with the Jets.
Ray Lewis (LB - 6'1", 245 lbs - 33 years old) - Apparently the Cowboys aren't after him anymore. The Ravens are still trying to sign him after he reportedly turned down a 3 year, $24 million offer before free agency started. **The offer apparently remains on the table. It appears more and more likely he'll stay in Baltimore.
- Angelo Crowell (LB - 6'1", 243 lbs - 27 years old) - The Redskins were interested in him but not after their spending spree. No visits scheduled.
- Rosevelt Colvin (LB - 6'3", 250 lbs - 31 years old) - No sniffs from anyone after the Pats released him. He knows the 3-4 defense and represents a need but he's missed 17 games in two years.
- Igor Olshansky (DE - 6'6", 309 lbs - 26 years old) - Haven't heard a word about him. No visits reported.
Laveranues Coles (WR - 5'11", 193 lbs - 31 years old) - Whittled his choices down to the Buffalo Bills or the Miami Dolphins and the New York Daily News speculates the smart money is on the Dolphins. Who doesn't want to sign in Miami this year it seems? **Dolphins aren't likely to pursue Coles.
- T.J. Houshmandzadeh (WR - 6'1", 197 lbs - 31 years old) - After a visit with the Seahawks and the Vikings, he is still in Minnesota. It's believed that they're talking money at this point. However, ESPN's Michael Smith reports that he will also make visits to the Bucs (who just re-signed WR Michael Clayton) and the Eagles.
- Stacy Andrews (RT/RG - 6'7", 342 lbs - 28 years old) - Signed 6 year deal with the Eagles.
- Jeff Saturday (C - 6'2", 292 lbs - 33 years old) - Signed 3 year deal with the Colts.
- Khalif Barnes (LT - 6'6", 305 lbs - 26 years old) - The Raiders have "toyed" with the idea of taking a harder look at him. Meanwhile, Barnes canceled a visit with the Saints after they resigned Jon Stinchcomb.
Chiefs Unrestricted Free Agents
- Jason Babin, Oliver Celestin, Jon McGraw, Adrian Jones, Rocky Boiman and Pat Thomas - Haven't heard a peep about any of these guys.
Chiefs Restricted Free Agents
- Jarrad Page, Jeff Webb and Rudy Niswanger - They were all tendered so I don't expect any team to be willing to part ways with the compensation packages assigned to each of them.
With the exception of a couple of names, these players are beginning to represent the second wave of free agency. The signing bonuses are dwindling so the Chiefs should take a hard look at a few of these value players.
As always, post any updates to free agency signings in the comments or the FanShots (Free agency is an important time to install the FanShot bookmark so you can post to AP from any webpage).
Any other possible free agent signings out there?