So it now appears we have our head coach. Todd Haley. thats great. not sure how i feel about him but im all for it now. i will trust piolis judgment. what im wondering though is we have all these young players, especially on defense, and our defense is horrible. now not many people were fans of the last defensive coaching staff, gunther, krumrie(although i guess hes still on the team???), and the guy that went to the Texans. secondary coach. probably the best we had. so we now have a new head coach and we will soon have a new d co-ordinator. with the new influx of blood how will the young guys respond. rather then list them all one buy one im going to group them into 3 groups. lineman, linebackers, secondary......yeah duh but whatever.
this seems to be the most solid grouping. flowers, carr, and leggit all seem like gound young players that can be apart of the secondary for a while, page and pollard both young as well and while there may be some who arent the biggest fans of both they are still pretty good even with whatever short comings they have. this is still definately the strongest group of players.
this is the one that gets the most blame for last seasons sack dibacle. hali, dorsey, mcbride, tank, babin even though hes older and a free agent. this group did not do alot but this group does have alot of talent. everyone knows the stats 2 first rounders (dorsey, hali) mcbride in the second tank in the 3rd. thats four high draft picks in the last 3 years. so while the results definantley werent there the talent should be. its not like kansas city reached on all of these players when they were drafted. i mean alot of people saw something in most of these guys. especially dorsey. but none were huge stretches where they were drafted. so this group by far has underachieved given the talent that SHOULD be there. maybe not all of them are going to be stars in the league but they should be more then just stiffs. i think this group has the biggest upside. if someone can come along and get something out of this talent i think they have a very high ceiling. this is where i hope KC gets a good d coach who has a d-line background possibly. i want someone to come in and teach these guys how to use there talents. they are all still young and yes, they put up a historically bad season but i dont think talent is as bad as the outcome. i think a new dcoardinator helps this group the most. by far
this group is just as bad as the dline if not worse in my opinion. look around the league. yes there are jared allens, and albert hanyswoerths getting sacks but it seems a majority of the high level sack artists are linebackers. harrison in pitt, porter in mia, demarcus ware in dal, merriman of years past, this is where the sacks come from. if it is the lb getting the sack. or letting someone on the line get single coverage tacking up a blocker. i think these are the key component to getting pressure on the qb. there are very few teams who get pressure consistenly just rushing the front four. yeah giants of 2007 but they had ALOT of talent on the line and its just not that common. think of the talent we have on this unit as well. DJ first round pick.......donnie, 2nd round i believe and not really a part of this years team. getting old and wont be back. demario williams??? didnt get much of a chance early but i thought he started to show up later in the season. not really sure about him .he might just need a chance but not someone i really want to rely on. rocky boiman??? weston dacus??? curtis gatewood??? and pat thomas...........seriously.........thats who we have........i mean i dont want to get personal with anyone in specific on that list but the list as a whole????? wow......there just isnt anything there. i mean DJ has his moments, demario who knows but anyone else. im sorry but uck. no thanks. next please. Not only did this group not have any good results but there really isnt anything there to build on. I mean there is no hope based on who is there. DJ would be the only one id hold on too and my gripe wouldnt be that strong. there has got to be an infusion of talent on this group. i think of any position on the team this is the one most lacking. with the right coaches i believe the dline becomes better with the players that are there, but the linebackers? no i dont think any coach could do much with the talent we have there. I also think the improvement of linebacker would greatly improve the already steady play of the secondary and help the dline immensley. if there is one positoin i want fixed this offseason line backer is it.
This is my fix
1. Sign a FA linebacker, Dansby/Vilma/Scott. whoever. i think they need to invest some of the salary cap room we have on this position. its a position of leadership and i think we need outside help. dont really care who it is but i want a starter. i want a yound talented player at this spot and any one of them would do.
2. Draft. 1st round 2 options here
A. Draft Aaron Curry #3. kinda high to spend this pick on a LB but Curry seems pretty solid. i dont like the fact that he really just showed up this year but everyone everywhere seems to like this kid. i think this is along the lines of a pioli/ne pick as well.
B. second option for the 1st round pick would be trade down get another pick and take maualuga/laurinitis. dont care which one. the draft is pretty much a crap shoot anyway. rey seems the higher prospect so we could probably get more trading farther back to still get laurinitis but if there is a big difference then take rey. dont care.
3. 2nd round. draft max unger. helps 2 positions on the team center and guard buy getting niswanger to move over.
3rd -4 round draft wr and o tackle.
from that point on take BPA including dlineman and secondary for depth.i dont think we need to put anymore picks in these two positions
4. as far as the dline goes im not really in favor of signing peppers/ haynesworth. i dont think haynesworth will be availiable anyway i think he wants to stay and i think tenn wants him to stay. peppers though?? i just dont know. he is a huge talent but i dont want to miss on both North Carolina guys. i mean we tried ryan sims and yeah just no thanks. i think peppers had a contract year. i dont think he wants to win as much as he used to and he going to start being a cancer. already whining about stats at carolina. plus hes going to want BANK and i just think we have the talent atong the dline. i know im going to get ripped for thinking the dline isnt far away but whatever.
5. none of that is going to be that expensive. from that point feel free to sign defensive Player X or offensive Player Y at whatever position. there is help needed else where on this team but i think investing in a fa linebacker and going LB in the first HUGE a return. i think it would be much larger then just the new player because if the linebacker group plays better i think everyone else plays better.