I'm not sure how many of you knew this but current Jacksonville Jaguars head coach, Jack Del Rio, used to play in the NFL. More specifically, he used to play in Kansas City.
Yes, two of Del Rio's 11 years in the NFL (87-88) were spent playing left outside linebacker with the Chiefs.
Josh Looney has some great old school photos of Del Rio on his Twitter page.
Here are a few other connections between the Chiefs and Jags, courtesy of the Chiefs PR staff:
- Chiefs head coach Todd Haley graduated from the University of North Florida.
- Jacksonville T Jordan Black (03-06) and CB Tyron Brackenridge (07-08) both played for Kansas City.
- Chiefs HOF inductee Deron Cherry is a member of the Jaguars ownership group.
- Jacksonville Senior VP/Business Development Tim Connolly worked for Kansas City for seven years (89-95).
- Kansas City strength and conditioning coach Cedric Smith played fullback at the University of Florida (86-89).
- Jacksonville offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter coached at Missouri (89-93).
- Jacksonville assistant strength and conditioning coach Jason George coached at Kansas (97-98).
- Jacksonville defensive line coach Ted Monachino played at Missouri and coached at SW Missouri State (99-00).
- Jacksonville strength and conditioning coach Luke Richesson played football at Kansas (92-96).
- Jaguars DT Atiyyah Ellison played at Missouri.
- Jaguars S Reggie Nelson played at Coffeyville (KS) CC.
- Chiefs GM Scott Pioli and Jaguars athletic trainer Mike Ryan (82-85) were both student-athletes at Central Connecticut State.