Note: Forgot the Colts game from a couple years back. We'll survive I'm sure. -Chris
How have the Chiefs done in recent years against the Super Bowl Champs? Not to shabby.
- Chiefs beat the Patriots in 2005;
- Patriots beat the Chiefs in 2002;
- Chiefs beat the Rams in 2000;
- Chiefs swept the Broncos in 1999;
- Broncos swept the Chiefs in 1998; and,
- The Chiefs beat the Redskins in 1992.
After the jump, I've given you some stats and a couple of notes on these games.
Take a walk down memory lane with me this morning....Chiefs beat the Patriots in 2005
- Final score: 26 to 16
- Lawrence Tynes had four field goals
- Dante Hall had a 52-yard TD catch and run from Trent Green
- Larry Johnson had a 1-yard rush
Lots of yards - 420 on offense - and being +3 in turnovers helped propel the Chiefs and their offense over the Patriots at home.
Patriots beat the Chiefs in 2002
- Final score: 38 to 41
- Eddie Kennison had two receiving TDs
- Priest Holmes had three rushing TDs
- Morten Anderson added a field goal
If you recall, this game went into over time where Adam Vinatieri hit 35-yard field goal for the win. Even though the Chiefs had 456 total yards, being -2 in turnovers helped contribute to a loss.
Chiefs beat the Rams in 2000
- Final score: 54 to 34
- Todd Peterson had two field goals
- RB Frank Moreau had a 2-yard rushing TD
- Elvis Gbrac had TD passes to Derrick Alexander and Tony Gonzalez
- Kimble Anders added two rushing TDs
The Chiefs out-offensed the Rams after St. Louis won the Super Bowl in 1999. The Chiefs had 428 yards of offense and were +4 in turnovers.
Chiefs swept the Broncos in 1999
- Chiefs won in Week 2, 26 to 10;
- Chiefs won in Week 13, 16 to 10;
- Chiefs were +2 in turnovers over these two games
- Tamarick Vanover had an 80-yard kick return in the second game for the go ahead TD
Yeah, no John Elway and RB Terrell Davis only played four games this season but still - a sweep over the defending Super Bowl champion Broncos is a fine thing.
Broncos swept the Chiefs in 1998
- Chiefs lost 30-7 and 35-31
- Kimble Anders, Andre Rison, Joe Horn and Bam Morris all had scores in these two games
- The Chiefs only had 75 rushing yards combined
I can't say I blame the Chiefs for these losses. The Broncos went 13-0 and before their first loss in 1998 and were just destroying teams on their way to the Super Bowl.
The Chiefs beat the Redskins in 1992
- Chiefs won 35 to 16
- Christian Okoye had two rushing TDs
- Harvey Williams also had a rushing TD
- Tim Barnett caught a 44-yard pass from Dave Krieg for a TD
- Redskins QB Mary Rypien had zero TD passes and one INT
I'm not going to act like I remember this game - I was only 9-years old - so I'm going to relate my early 90s Redskins story.
It's Super Bowl night, January 26th, three days after my ninth birthday. I remember sitting there watching the Redskins whooping up on the Bills when I got a terrible ear infection. I'm crying and holding my ear for hours until my mom takes me to the pediatrician's office.
We get there and I vividly remember, even at 9-years old, watching this cranky old doctor sit in front of a TV watching the Super Bowl while I sat in the waiting room balling my eyes out from the pain.
He eventually came out of that back room and was still not pleased that I had interrupted the Super Bowl. Hopefully, he is no longer practicing medicine.
Got any favorite memories surrounding these games?