I do have some comments about this coach and his decision making. I want to start off by saying that I am very happy the Chiefs won, I am just worried about it going forward and think that the Head Coach, The Offensive Coordinator, and the Defensive Coordinator have already cost the Chiefs games this season.
1. Todd Haley's Chief teams appear to me (I Know I am not alone) to be the worst prepared Chief teams (I would say NFL teams but I have seen some other teams) I have ever watched. His teams are in fact, much less prepared than the Chief team put on the field last year and there was far less "veteran leadership" last year.
2. Todd Haley's gameday decisions as a head coach are puzzling and terrible. Without a doubt, the previous coach was a terrible gameday decision maker. He was not as bad as clock management as Haley, nor at making decisions regarding 4th downs, 2pts, etc. Bill in Boston has earned the right to do stupid shit and say trust me I know what I am doing, Haley has not.
3. Despite the fact that the previous head coach was BBQ'ed for "calling bad plays", he actually didn't call offensive plays. Even if he gave the offensive coordinator a philosophy from where to operate, the fact is he didn't call the plays. Play calling has been nearly as bad as it was under the playcalling of Mike Solari (and far worse than under Chan) this season and yes, there is a guy calling plays to blame for that.
4. Personnel decisions. This is one place where I have to agree with Jason on.
After running his mouth and carrying himself like his coaching would magically produce five or six victories.
There has to come a point where you "play to win the game". Cutting Bernard Pollard (not one of his guys) for Mike Brown (one of his guys) unless of course you believe the conspiracy theory that Pollard was cut due to the Brady thing, was the worst cut the Chiefs have made. We have long heard the Haley defenders denounce the not resignings of guys like Jimmy Wilkerson, Kawika Mitchell, and Benny Sapp. Pollard is a better player than the 3 of them with more upside as well. Not to mention the fact that 2 of them were not even starters and the 3rd there was an attempt to upgrade. Would anyone argue that Brown is an upgrade over Pollard? Then you have the matter of Derrick Johnson. Maybe he doesn't practice as well as Haley would like and yes I would commend Haley for trying to get more out of him as I did when he did it to Bowe in the preseason. But like Bowe, there comes a time where the games must end and trying to win games must begin. Williams hasn't played Brown level bad this season, but DJ has been outstanding while on the field. I am sure there are countless other small examples but the only other one I think has cost us a game was deactivating Charles for our game against Oakland. Jamaal, is the only homerun hitter in on the team. You cannot take a weapon away for some bull shit.
5. His press conferences make him sound clueless. Well not all of his press conferences, some do make him sound like a good coach. But then some shit comes out of his mouth that just makes you wonder how this guy got the job. When he says that the timing between QB and WR is over rated, and that comes back to someone who hasn't played the game not understanding it. I only played football until 9th grade. But even then, the more the QB threw the ball to me in practice, the better those passes came to me in games. Also, yesterday after the game he talked about how well the defense played. Did anyone watching the game come to that same conclusion? What I saw was a terrible display of tackling on the defense and JaMarcus Russell and his WRs screwing up the passing game. There are of course countless other examples of press conference madness I have brought up before.
Like our shitty QB play, our shitty coaching must improve and I really hope it does in both cases. We are stuck with Matt Cassel and Haley for better or worse for the next 3 seasons. It would just be terrible to have to start the whole process over again in 2012. But I wish in the mean time, posters on this board would show some integrity and at the very least treat this coach just as they treated the last one (you know the guy who had actually won playoff games as a HC before getting to KC?).