The Picks with Explanations
1. OT Russell Okung - Oklahoma State: Offensive Line is the position of greatest need. Eric Berry is a flashy pick, but many scouts are projecting him as a better cornerback than safety. Berry has questionable run support ability especially with his 5'11" 200 lbs frame. Okung will make a franchise LT who is good in both run and pass blocking. Albert can be moved to LG with Waters switching to C, RG, or possibly retiring.
2. OLB Sergio Kindle - Texas: Some mocks have Kindle falling farther than this and others have him being taken in the middle or top of round one. If he is available at this spot in the draft, the Chiefs should take advantage of it. Kindle is very athletic and a great pass rusher and can take Vrabel's position since he will probably leave via free agency. Also could be rotated with Tamba Hali and used in pass rushing situations.
2. FS Darrell Stuckey - Kansas: The safety position needs to be addressed and Stuckey would be a young guy who can come in and learn the system. He is athletic, tries hard, and is a playmaker.
3. MLB Sean Lee - Penn State: Lee comes out of linebacker U and has been a dominant force while healthy in college. Lee will provide a playmaker in a position of need for the Chiefs at pretty good value.
4. WR Dezmon Briscoe - Kansas: From the look of the draft so far, it would seem as if I am a KU fan but based on my username you will be able to tell I am most definitely not. Briscoe is a good possession receiver who can be developed behind what is becoming fairly solid depth for the wide receiver position. Pioli has been watching several KU games, and he combined with Stuckey is probably why.
5. C J.D. Walton - Baylor: Up and coming prospect who will take Niswanger's place at the Center position and solidify the O-Line.
5. OG Mitch Petrus - Arkansas: Chiefs once again find a late round guard who is somewhat of a project but can be developed. Provides depth in a position of need at worst.
5. NT Sergio Render - Virginia Tech: Provides Chiefs with more competition and hopefully becomes a solid starter at a position where the Chiefs still struggle.
Chiefs fill many needs and combined with free agency, a draft like this will provide solid starters along with depth. A few developmental prospects but mainly quality starters the Chiefs need. This draft is deep with Offensive Lineman and a decent crop of OLBs and WRs too. Chiefs take advantage of this and have a great draft.