Why Alex Smith you say...well here at the top ten reasons the Chiefs will draft Alex Smith.
1. He is going to be cut by the niners by season end.
2. He was a 49er back up.
3. Now is he on 49er IR.
4. Carl Peterson has a back up 49er fetish (calling Elvis Grbac, Bono, and even Montana).
5. With just a few exceptions, since the 90's Carl Peterson only employs NFC West QBs.
6. He is still "young" enough to fit in the "youth" movement.
7. He might still be a decent quarterback--three offensive cordinators in three years would doom almost every QB.
8. He will be cheap and probably won't cost a draft pick since he will be a free agent (however, I bet Mr. Gruden out in Tampa would go for him since he collects QB's like Herm Edwards collects defensive lineman)
9. Alex Smith is probably less risky then drafting a first round QB.
10. This top 10 list is stupid, there is no reason to believe that Croyle won't come back, not get hurt, and lead this team to a successful rebuilding season, whatever that is, (8-8, 6-10, 10-6).